Forgiveness is all about releasing bitterness and resentment towards a person who has wronged you. Sometimes you may feel as though this person doesn’t deserve your forgiveness at all. That is completely normal. However, it is important for our own wellbeing to move on and let go of negativity.
Let’s get personal: In the past, I found it incredibly difficult to forgive people. I would hold grudges for a long time and refused to let them go. I would get angry every time I thought about what they had done and how it had hurt me.
I was always so wrapped up in my anger that I couldn’t see the damage I was doing to myself. The person who hurt me was controlling my life and happiness. It wasn’t until I let go of my anger and forgave the person who had hurt me that I finally felt better. Forgiving them didn’t mean that what they did was okay, but it allowed me to move on from the hurt and start living again.
Forgiving others can be difficult, but it is an important part of life. By journaling about forgiveness, you can work through your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. You may even find you have hidden feelings you weren’t aware of. That’s the beauty of journaling – it really forces us to get to know ourselves.
These journal prompts for forgiveness can help you explore your own personal experiences with forgiveness, as well as how you feel about forgiving others. If you are struggling with forgiving a certain person, these journal prompts may help you put the situation into perspective. Whatever your personal situation may be, grab your favorite journaling pen and get ready for some serious reflection!
21 Journal Prompts For Forgiveness
- What does forgiveness mean to you? – When journaling about forgiveness, this is a great place to start. Spend some time thinking about what forgiveness really means to you. Your definition should be personal and unique.
- Have you ever had difficulty forgiving someone? Why? – Reflect on the past to a time you may have had difficulty forgiving someone. It may have been someone you deeply cared for that hurt you. This isn’t an easy topic to dive into, but it’s important to understand the reasons you felt it was difficult. How do you feel about the situation now?
- What are some things that you have been forgiven for in your life? – Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. It’s important to remember the times we have been forgiven, as it can help us forgive others. Who was it that forgave you and how did you feel before they did?
- How do you feel after forgiving someone? – Is there a sense of relief? A weight lifted off your shoulders? Or does it take time to process the forgiveness? Forgiveness isn’t always easy, but it can be freeing.
- What are some things you need to forgive yourself for? – Often, we can be our own worst critic. Sometimes, we need to learn to forgive ourselves before we can move on. This can be a difficult thing to do, but it is so important for our own mental health and wellbeing.
- What are some things you would like others to forgive you for? – We all make mistakes and sometimes we hurt the people we care about. If there is someone you have hurt, and you would like their forgiveness, spend some time writing about it. It can be a difficult thing to ask for forgiveness, but it can also be very healing. It may help to write a letter to this person (and then never send it).
- What role does forgiveness play in your life? – Forgiveness is an important part of life, but it’s not always easy. Spend some time reflecting on how forgiveness has affected your life, both positively and negatively.
- How do you think forgiveness affects our mental health? – Research shows that forgiveness can have a positive impact on our mental health. It can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. Forgiveness can also help us let go of anger and resentment. How do you think forgiveness affects your mental health, personally?
- How do you think forgiveness affects our relationships? – Relationships require healthy communication, compromise, and forgiveness. It can help to improve communication and reduce conflict. Forgiveness can also help us to move on from hurt and pain. How do you think forgiveness affects your relationships, both positively and negatively?
- When is it time to let go and move on? – There are some things that we may never be able to forgive. That’s okay. It’s important to know when it’s time to let go and move on, for your own mental health and wellbeing. Trust your gut on this one.
- What are some things you need to let go of in your life? – Maybe there’s someone you need to forgive, or maybe there’s something you need to let go of that’s holding you back. Write about what you need to let go of and why it’s important for you to do so.
- How can you practice forgiveness in your daily life? – One way to practice forgiveness is to write about it. Another way is to meditate or pray on it. You can also try to be more mindful of your thoughts and words, and choose to forgive more easily. What are some other ways you can think of to practice forgiveness in your daily life?
- How does forgiveness make you stronger? – When we forgive, it can help us to let go of anger and resentment. Forgiveness can also help us to move on from hurt and pain. It can also help us to practice self-love and compassion. All of these things can make us stronger people. How do you think forgiveness has made you a stronger person?
- Why is it important to forgive? – Forgiveness can have many benefits, both for ourselves and for our relationships. It can help to improve communication and reduce conflict. Forgiveness can also help us to move on from hurt and pain. Why do you think forgiveness is important?
- How does the act of forgiving make you feel? – Everyone experiences forgiveness differently. For some people, it can be a very healing and cathartic experience. For others, it can be more difficult. How does the act of forgiving make you feel? Is it something that you find easy or difficult to do? Why do you think that is?
- When is it okay to not forgive? – This is a tricky question to answer. Many people believe it is never okay not to forgive. This is a personal question that may take some time to dive into.
- How can we learn from our mistakes? – We all make mistakes, but it’s important to learn from them. Forgiveness can help us to do that. When we forgive, it helps us to let go of anger and resentment. Forgiveness can also help us to move on from hurt and pain. All of these things can help us to learn from our mistakes. What are some other ways you think we can learn from our mistakes?
- How can we become better people? – One way to become a better person is to practice forgiveness. When we forgive, a weight is lifted from our life. When that weight is lifted, we have more capacity to do good.
- What are some things we can do to make the world a better place? – How does the act of forgiveness tie into making the world a better place? Can you imagine a world where forgiveness was commonplace?
- Have you ever struggled to forgive someone? – We all have. Forgiveness takes time and effort. Write about a time when you struggled to forgive someone. What happened? How did you eventually find forgiveness?
- Who or what has hurt you? – We’ve all been hurt by someone or something at some point in our lives. Write about a time when you were hurt by someone or something. How did it make you feel? What did you learn from the experience?
When it comes to forgiveness, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. What is important is that we are aware of the power of forgiveness and its many benefits. Forgiveness can help us to let go of anger so we can enjoy our life and fill it with positivity. Yes, forgiveness can be difficult, but it is always worth the effort. By forgiving, we can become better people and make the world a better place.